Radiculopathy is a medical term used to depict certain issues initiating in the spinal region, at the area of the nerve roots. It is a condition, which is a consequence of the pressure that is being begun from the herniated plate.
However, there can be any other different cause to it. The pressure applied by the degenerative changes in the spine can likewise prompt pain in the back. These progressions prompt aggravation and bothering in the underlying foundations (roots) of the nerves.
The nerves that are normally influenced by this issue are the sensory nerve. Thus, therefore, those muscles that have an immediate contact with the influenced sensory nerve roots have a tendency to get debilitated.
Moreover, other than this, the quantity of roots that get influenced by this issue additionally differs. At times the influenced nerve cells can be few, while in different cases, the disease can influence the both sides of the body.
Types of radiculopathy
The distinctive kinds are named for the zone of the spine that is influenced. They are:
- Cervical radiculopathy
Alludes to the nerves in the cervical spine (neck), yet in addition influences nerves that stretch out through the shoulders, arms, fingers, and hands. Moreover, it can cause shivering, weakness, tingling sensation or feeling of numbness in these regions.
- Lumbar radiculopathy
Influences the nerves in the lumbar spine which is in the lower back and also those that go through the legs, feet, and buttock. Pain in lower back and muscular weakness are normal manifestations.
- Sciatica radiculopathy
A kind of lumbar radiculopathy that influences the sciatic nerve. This nerve goes from the lower back to the hips, down the back of the legs and buttocks.
- Thoracic radiculopathy
Happens in the thoracic spine (chest) area, yet is generally rare. Indications can influence the chest, stomach, upper back or mid-back.
Common causes of radiculopathy
It can be caused by different health conditions or wounds, including:
In a condition where a disc projects out to compress the nerve roots. This condition is termed as the herniated disc.
- Degenerative disease of disc
- Cancer of spine
- Osteoarthritis or spinal joint inflammation
- Another condition in which spinal canal becomes narrow. It is known as spinal stenosis and a very painful condition
- It is a condition in which any one vertebra of your back slides forward over the bone below. This condition mostly happens in the region of the lower spine.
- Scoliosis due to an unusual and irregular curve of the spine
- Diabetes, caused by changed nerve blood stream
- Cauda equine disorder, rare however severe condition where the pelvic organs and lower extremities get influenced due to nerve root compression.
Some other hazard factors for creating radiculopathy include:
- Bad posture
- Improper and careless lifting methods
- A family history of degenerative bone conditions
Common signs and symptoms of radiculopathy
Since the nerves stretching out from the spinal cord to various parts of the body, individuals will encounter diverse indications, contingent upon where in the spine the nerve pressure happens.
By: Ammara Perveen
Conitnue reading the full article from Reports Healthcare